After dropping my card and promising on my last visit to post my review, I have finally found the time to do so.
After some 20 years of eating at Bill’s diner, I guess its about time I posted why I have been such a fan of his place for so long.
How about a list. Yes, just like David Letterman’s top ten list.
10. Location. At the north tip of Long Beach Island and tucked away from everyone except the local faithfuls and summer tourists.
9. The smell of the salt air and nearby bay make it pleasurable even when waiting during the summer months for a table.
8. The tables in the back room are the coolest. Its like eating in your grandma’s back porch when everyone else has to eat at the kitchen table.
7. The menus on the wall and in your hand offer too many choices that make it too damn hard to decide what to order.
6. The waitresses are the best, the friendliest and the prettiest on the island and the serve up the food faster than you can finish your first cup of coffee.
5. The coffee cup is ALWAYS full.
4. Everything tastes like it was just made, which is exactly how it should be.
3. The kitchen staff has worked together for many, many years and they always serve the food the same way, everyday, which is the hardest thing to accomplish in the restaurant business. CONSISTANCY!!!!
2. The diner is a landmark ( or should be) and no one else on LBI received a visit from Guy Fieri, of my favorite food show, Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. Hats off to you Bill!!
and the number one reason…
1. Mustache Bill’s omelets and pancakes are quite simply the BEST on LBI and the surrounding area. I have my own omelet which should have a name by now since Vinny and I perfected its makeup some three or four years ago…We start with the Potato Skin omelet which has potatoes, scallions, bacon and cheddar cheese and then we ask for HOT peppers to be added. Dress it up with salsa, sour cream and a short stack of ‘cakes and the next meal you can expect to want is dinner. Bill has perfected the omelet and no where will you find one that is fluffier and filled better.
You can expect only the best when you visit Mustache Bill’s so get up early, put the top down and head over to LBI and enjoy the best breakfast this area has to offer.
The Regular Guy rating * * * *
Mustache Bill’s Diner
W 8th St and Broadway
Barnegat Light, NJ 08006